MetaMask displays the gas fee dollar amount in ETH equivalent on Avalanche, however, the token used for gas is
AVAX when using the Avalanche network. To calculate the true dollar equivalent, you will have to multiply the
units of AVAX used * the current market price of AVAX.
You must have AVAX in your Avalanche wallet to make a transaction after you transfer any asset from Ethereum.
You can use the same wallet address on Ethereum with Avalanche.
Getting Started on Pangolin
Set up your MetaMask wallet, and fund it with AVAX
Pangolin is a community-driven decentralized exchange for Avalanche and Ethereum assets with fast settlement, low transaction fees, and a democratic distribution–powered by Avalanche. Pangolin brings you the best trading opportunities to find and maximize your yield.
Avalanche supports the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), which enables traders with Ethereum assets to instantly and cheaply swap tokens. Learn more about Pangolin here.
Reminder: to use Pangolin, you will need AVAX to cover the gas fees to execute transactions.
If you already have an Avalanche Wallet and AVAX tokens, skip this step and move to Setting Up Metamask.
Create an Avalanche Wallet by visiting https://wallet.avax.network/, clicking on "Create New Wallet", and following the subsequent instructions
You can get AVAX from any of the supported exchanges listed on CoinMarketCap.
Once you have AVAX, send AVAX to your Avalanche Wallet that was created in Step 1. Find your wallet address that starts with "x-avax1" on your Avalanche Wallet.
Now that you have AVAX, you may proceed to Setting Up Metamask.
Download MetaMask here.
Install MetaMask as an extension to your browser. Note that the following browsers are supported: Chrome, FireFox, Brave, and Edge.
This is where you have to create or import an existing Ethereum wallet. If you don’t have an existing Ethereum wallet, please select "Create a Wallet". Always keep your Mnemonic and password to yourself and make sure to write it down. Note: This is the wallet that will be used to conduct transactions on Avalanche.
Click the drop-down menu and select "Custom RPC."
Enter the following settings into the respective fields:
- Network Name: Avalanche Network
- New RPC URL: https://api.avax.network/ext/bc/C/rpc
- ChainID: 0xa86a
- Symbol: AVAX
- Explorer: https://cchain.explorer.avax.network/
- Select "Add Token"
- Select "Custom Token"
- Enter the following information into the available fields:
- Token Contract Address: 0x60781C2586D68229fde47564546784ab3fACA982
- Token Symbol: PNG
- Select "Next"
You have now successfully added the Pangolin (PNG) token to be displayed on your MetaMask.
- Go to https://wallet.avax.network/, and access your Avalanche Wallet.
- On the left, there is a list of options. Click "Cross-Chain"
- Choose the "C Chain (Contract)" as the destination chain
- Enter the amount you would like to transfer, and then click confirm
Send the AVAX from your Avalanche wallet to your MetaMask wallet.
- Select "Send"
- Select "C Contract" as the Source Chain
- Enter your MetaMask wallet address by copying and pasting it into the "To Address" field on your Avalanche wallet.
- Confirm and finalize the transaction.
Congratulations! You now have AVAX on your MetaMask wallet and can start using Avalanche.